Superman Lego Shield Update #3
Returning from last Friday’s SUPER news about the Best Article Nomination for my article ‘A Super Walk Down the Street of Steel’ by the Rondo Awards (You can still vote! Please check out Friday’s FB post or the link here for more information – http://www.nicholascara.com/…/rondo-article-year-nomination/ )
It is time to get back to the construction of #LegoSupermanShield for the Superman Celebration!
I remember a while ago Morgan at the Super Museum told me she didn’t want to see the colors red, yellow and blue for a month after they finished painting the exterior of the Super Museum. Well I think I know the feeling! It took a few weeks for all of the shipments of LEGO to come in but once they did and I was able to sort them well let’s just say ~3800 red, blue and yellow bricks takes up a lot of room!
Needless to say my next LEGO project is going to have to be green or something to get all of the primary colors spots out of my eyes LOL
One of the key parts to this shield that I might not have mentioned was it originally was design into three separate sections. This was key to its foundation because of the length and support system I came up with to give a “floating” look to the shield. If I had tried to build the entire piece in one big section it more than likely would fallen apart under its own weight before I finished all of the needed supports. But as the saying goes a broken clock is correct twice a day and luckily this three part concept and the additional supports by the connections between the parts really worked out for this design.
The first thing to do in the construction process was to build the three bases so once I started each section I could attach them to their individual supports and base. The largest (per number of LEGO pieces) section of course was the center so that’s where I decided to start construction. Brick by brick and single layer by layer the center of the Super Shield rose until it was actually too top heavy for the front supports to individually hold it up. Happily it really is a relatively solid build so I was able to continue and finish the section off horizontally and then attach it upright to the front 2×2 supports and the rear 4×4 support in the middle.
Now that center section is finished it was time to start work on the left hand side and hope that it fits perfectly…
But that is a tale for our next update Grey-Ghosters, so come back here next Monday…
Same Super LEGO Time… Same Super LEGO Channel!